Defuse Hard-Wired Biases to Become a Better Ally
Although it can be tough to admit, we all have a foundation of implicit bias.
Bias doesn’t mean you are a racist or bigot; it’s not necessarily a moral failing. Through nature and nurture, we all possess internalized and implicit biases that are unconscious associations, beliefs, or attitudes toward any social group. Unavoidable in a country founded on white patriarchy, we are all hard-wired to a degree to “other” social groups that are not our own.
So, bias is part of being human, but it’s also a part of our humanness that requires introspection and a release of the ego.
If you’re on this page reading this, you probably have already realized you have built-in biases — and want to learn how to challenge and reduce them.
Maybe the criminalization of minority groups by the police and prison states in this country has made you realize you need to stand up, use your privilege, and become a better ally with communities that have been marginalized.
Maybe you have close friends or family who are damaged or affected by internal, implicit, or completely intentional bias… and you want to be a better friend and support system.
At work, perhaps you are starting to become aware of microaggressions that happen towards POC colleagues, perhaps you’ve become aware of having done some of these yourself… but aren’t sure how to identify or address them..
Whatever your reason is to wake up from these implicit prejudices and improve yourself as an empathetic and self-aware person, you’ve come to the right place.
I will help you learn to look at these biases objectively, consider the impact of them on specific social groups, and learn to slow down and not act on these polarizing impulses. My coaching approach is based on looking at biases inherent in society and human nature and choosing more constructive and empathetic beliefs and actions.
One step at a time, I’ll help you:
- Understand that implicit biases inform your everyday decisions and beliefs about yourself and others
- Separate learned patriarchal beliefs from redefined beliefs rooted in love that reflect your true self
- Implement mindfulness and objectiveness to improve how you view, support, and interact with those around you
- Overcome biases and improve your empathy and effectiveness in all relationships, from people you work with to strangers you engage with every day
- Discard beliefs that have been accepted “just because that’s the way things are” and challenge others to create a more effective and compassionate dialogue about social issues
Are you ready to learn to disrupt biased thinking and cut through the BS to be a better ally to all social groups?